DescriptionMeet the needs of your audience, accomplish your goals, and write for precision, clarity, and style.
Produce the powerful content, clear writing, and concise construction that characterizes excellent technical writing
Most business people are called upon to write for a variety of specific purposes and writing effectively is a vital business skill. In fact, studies show that across a broad spectrum of industries, 25% of our work week is spent on writing that is aimed at communicating technical detail. This course offers tools and approaches to help you get the process started, meet the needs of your audience, accomplish your goals, and adjust your writing for precision, clarity, and style. Some of the principles discussed include analyzing the situation, distinguishing between style and form, and making the process efficient. Since most of us must communicate in many different situations, the course will identify and provide strategies for dealing with the constraints of audience, purpose, format, formality, and occasion. Form, style, mechanics, and structure will be explored in detail with samples and exercises provided throughout the course to reinforce the concepts presented.
Following this course you will be able to:
- Plan writing projects with a thorough understanding of a target audience
- Format technical documents and avoid common errors of grammar
- Appreciate document structure and the strategy of style
- Improve the use of language precision in order to avoid confusion and ambiguity
- Optimize the combination of words with images in technical documents