This course is designed for occupational therapists interested in expanding their knowledge about the role of OT in school-based settings. It provides information about current legislation affecting practice including IDEA and the evolution of NCLB (No Child Left Behind) to the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). The course includes information about best practice including the updated OT Practice Framework 3rd Edition and practice strategies with children with autism, learning disability, and behavioral disorders. Cultural diversity and issues of ethical practice are included in the review of the referral process from screening to evaluation to IEP planning. Frequently Asked Questions.
- Differentiation of school-based practice from medical/clinical practice
- The role of the OT in teams and the purpose of related services
- Impact of diversity on student participation and occupational performance
- Eligibility for OT and service categories of school intervention
- Evaluation in school practice including pre-referral and referral processes
- Report writing and generation of IFSP/IEP/IIIP
- Relevant state and federal guidelines impacting OT practice in school systems