Minnesota Writing Project & ASCD
2017 Saturday Sessions
Breakfast & Registration: 8:45 a.m.
Event: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Section 0311 - Saturday, March 11
Media Literacy Tools for Exploring Current Events
* Examine student thinking related to human rights through news articles, reflective writing, and discussion.
* Use student collaboration, persuasive writing, and digital literacies to create PSAs around student inquiry.
Section 0422 - Saturday, April 22
Understanding Social and Emotional Learning Connected to Current Events
* Examine how students can make parallels between white supremacy and our current reality.
* Explore ways to meet students’ social and emotional needs while teaching writing.
* Learn about routines to implement in your classroom throughout the year to set the climate for difficult conversations around current events