Welcome to the Teaching in Globally Diverse Classes Certificate Program. From this page, you can view the Certificate Requirements, enroll in the Certificate Program, and select and register for the workshops and webinars you would like to take toward completing the certificate.
To enroll in the Certificate Program, please begin by enrolling in ICC X203: Teaching in Globally Diverse Classes Certificate Canvas Course. This will automatically enroll you in the Certificate and will give you access to the Certificate Canvas site, where you will find more information to help you progress through the program.
Please note: The Certificate is only available to current University of Minnesota faculty, instructors, staff, and teaching assistants.
There is no particular or required order in which you must enroll and attend the workshops and webinars. You may select and register all at once for the options you choose, or you can register as you go. There is also no required timeline for completing the Certificate. You will receive your Certificate when you complete all requirements. However, please be aware that we may adjust the options and requirements from one academic year to the next. You will be responsible for completing any new requirements in the academic year in which you complete the certificate.
To complete the Teaching in Globally Diverse Classes, a minimum of 22 total hours are required:
- A minimum of 10 hours (asynchronous) which will include self paced readings, reflections, short pre/post surveys. All of these materials will be hosted on the Canvas site.
- A minimum of 12 contact hours which will be divided across required core and elective workshops and webinars. Please note that all sessions will be hosted on Zoom, at least throughout the fall 2021 semester.
Note: You may enroll in as many workshops and webinars as you like. You are not limited to the minimum requirements. Many past participants have enrolled in many additional webinars because they found them to be so “practical and fun”.
Please see below for a detailed list of the requirements for the Teaching in Globally Diverse Classes Certificate program. You register for the workshops and webinars using the links to the right. You have the option of enrolling now in the requirements or revisiting this page over time to enroll when you are ready.
Core Workshops and Asynchronous Course (enroll in all FOUR core courses)
- Asynchronous Certificate course via Canvas (includes pre/post surveys, readings, application of learning, reflections, etc) (10 hours)
- Facilitating Intercultural Learning in Globally Diverse Classes Workshop (either 3 hours or you can choose to enroll in a more in depth 6-hour option scheduled in June)
- Leveraging Activities for Intercultural Learning Webinar (1 hour)
- Course Design for Preparing Global-Ready Students Workshop (3 hours)
Elective Webinars (These sessions range in length from 30-90 minutes. From these elective options, you need to complete a total of 3 hours.)
- Teaching Activities Webinars: These webinars introduce activities that help establish an inclusive learning community, integration of international and domestic students, and broadens participation. You select from individual 30 minute webinars and/or two hour sessions which “bundle” 3-4 activities each.
- Neuroscience Webinar (90 minutes)
Required Group Discussions (enroll in at least TWO)
- Group discussions (enroll in a minimum of 2 discussions, 1 hour each). You can enroll in these at any time throughout your engagement in this Certificate Program. They are intended to be opportunities for you to meet and talk with facilitators and colleagues at times that would benefit you the most.
Please contact email@example.com with questions.
“I am so glad I came across this program! This has been super informative and something different than what I have been getting from other pedagogy orgs on campus like CEI [Center for Educational Innovation]. I like what we're talking about and the community you're creating is very supportive, I am so glad this exists.” 2020- 21 participants.