DescriptionUnderstand the legal aspects of employee-supervisor relationships.
Even with a human resources department to go to for advice, managers and supervisors need to understand and stay abreast of employment laws and regulations. From creating a safe work environment to understanding legal terminations, this course will help you to develop a strong foundation. Topics covered include the dos and don'ts of employee handbooks, hiring practices, payment of wages and overtime, personnel files, performance evaluation, discipline, and the many legal aspects that impact these employment practices.
Following this course you will be able to:
- Understand the pros and cons of employee handbooks
- Recognize how to identify and prevent sexual harassment
- Identify and define what it means to be an "at-will" employer
- Decide best procedures to maintain personnel files
- Understand the principles and requirements for The Fair Labor Standards Act and The Americans with Disabilities Act
- Understand the legal considerations when dealing with performance appraisals, discipline, termination, COBRA, and unemployment
CANCELLATIONS are subject to a ten-percent processing fee if received 5 or fewer working days before the program start. REFUNDS are not granted if you cancel on or after the first day of the program. Notice may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to (612) 624-5359.