DescriptionUnderstand the legal aspects of human resources.
Amongst many other responsibilities, HR is charged with keeping the employer out of court. Because employment laws are complex and constantly changing, compliance can be difficult for even the most experienced of professionals. To make matters worse, HR employees can be individually sued for their actions and inactions. As a result, it is critical to understand not only what employment laws may apply to your workplace, but also how those laws impact your day-to-day decision making. In this session we'll cover the employment laws and best practices that HR needs to know.
Following this course you will be able to:
- Understand "at-will" employment and the surprisingly low thresholds for employees to sue
- Learn best practices for employee handbooks and personnel files
- Understand ADA requirements, affirmative action, and FMLA and legally protected absences
- Learn how to determine exemption status, and what counts as "hours worked" for overtime purposes
- Learn best practices for discipline and termination
CANCELLATIONS are subject to a ten-percent processing fee if received 5 or fewer working days before the program start. REFUNDS are not granted if you cancel on or after the first day of the program. Notice may be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to (612) 624-5359.
Applies Toward the Following:
- Human Resource Generalist Certificate : Required Courses