DescriptionUnderstand the legal aspects of human resources.
Among many other responsibilities, HR is charged with keeping the employer out of court.
Because employment laws are complex and constantly changing, compliance can be difficult for even the most experienced of professionals. To make matters worse, HR employees can be individually sued for their actions and inactions.
In this course, you’ll learn what employment laws may apply to your workplace and how they affect your day-to-day decision making. We'll cover the employment laws and best practices you need to know to be a successful HR professional.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- understand “at-will” employment and the surprisingly low threshold for employees to sue.
- learn best practices for employee handbooks and personnel files.
- understand ADA requirements, affirmative action, FMLA, and legally protected absences.
- learn how to determine exemption status and what counts as “hours worked” for overtime purposes.
- learn best practices for discipline and termination.
Registering yourself with a credit card or U of M EFS number?
Select your preferred section and click Add to Cart.
Registering others or via other means (check, invoice, third-party credit card)?
Register using the Other Payment Type Form
Applies Toward the Following:
- Human Resource Generalist Certificate : Required Courses