Jennifer Breen, MPH
Professional Chef, Healthy Foods, Healthy Lives Institute
University of Minnesota
Food Matters is an applied nutrition & culinary skills course for health professional students. The course addresses the role of food in specific health conditions and its function in health promotion and disease prevention. The course guides future health professionals in the procurement, preparation and consumption of sustainably raised whole foods for self care and how this translates to patient care.
This non-credit course meets with the academic course PubH 7200-103 as part of the 2019 Public Health Institute.
For more information: sph.umn.edu/public-health-institute
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Discuss the relationship between food and health
- Identify basic principles of a healthy diet
- Increase awareness regarding mindful eating and self care
- Know how to cook healthy, delicious food for optimal health
- Choose to include discussion of food choices as part of patient care
- Gain an understanding of food systems, sourcing, sustainability and their relationship to health
- Foster community and inter-professional relationships through food and experiential learning
- Incorporate/demonstrate increased confidence in menu planning and food preparation for self and others
Registration & Cancellation
The registration fee for this course is $595. You will receive an email letter outlining program logistics two weeks prior to the start of the course.
Requests for refunds will be honored in full if a written cancellation request is received prior to the course start date. An administration fee of $50 will be charged to all refund requests received after the first day of class. The Centers for Public Health Education and Outreach (CPHEO) reserves the right to cancel any course. In the event of a course cancellation, registrants will receive a full refund of the program registration fee. CPHEO is not responsible for refund of travel or other costs incurred by registrants.
The Centers for Public Health Education and Outreach will provide a certificate of attendance verifying 1.5 CEUs (15 contact hours) offered for this program. This course is eligible for 15 CPH recertification credits.
All courses are approved for CPH Recertification Credits by the National Board of Public Health Examiners.
Contact & Questions
Meghan Taylor: email@example.com | 612-626-8434