Youth work practice is complex and dynamic. It can include challenging situations that are layered and deal with multiple considerations and changing circumstances. For example, youth may get off track, cross a line or butt heads. Factors from youths’ families and culture to organizational policies need to be considered. Dilemmas require youth workers to make decisions about how to respond to difficult moments.
This self-guided course uses real scenarios to spark reflection and help you examine various ways to respond. You'll come away feeling more confident addressing real-life dilemmas in your own program.
How it works
- Go at your own pace (without a facilitator) through four modules that take about 30 minutes each. Additional time spent on application activities will vary.
- Learn on your own time. Unlimited 24-hour web access to the self-guided course.
- Videos and activities help you apply learning and take concrete ideas back to your program.
- Certificate of completion for 3 instruction hours is available at the end of the course. Please contact your licensing board or accrediting body to determine if this program meets eligibility to receive continuing education units.
- High-speed internet access
- Computer speakers
- Learn about dilemmas of youth work identified in a national research study.
- Respond to dilemmas in youth-centered ways.
- Formulate responses that balance diverse and often competing considerations.
- Consider roles, boundaries and ethical principles that guide your work.
Registration and fee
Suggested registration fee: $25, sliding scale pricing available.
In order to make our programming accessible to a broader audience, we have implemented a sliding scale fee structure. The suggested registration fee for this course is $25. We also offer a supporter rate of $50 for those who would like to contribute toward making this programming accessible to all. We do not want cost to be a barrier to participation. If you are not able to pay the registration fee, you may take the program at no cost.
Payment is accepted by credit card only. (No POs, invoices, payment by check.) Payment must be made at the time of registration.
- Username or password help: HELP@umn.edu, (612) 301-4357
- Content questions: Kate Walker, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Center for Youth Development: email@example.com, 612-624-1999
- Registration help: firstname.lastname@example.org