This course will be undergoing revision in early 2021, and will be unavailable after December 31, 2020.
Formerly known as "What is Public Health?"
This online module presents basic public health concepts including:
- The principles of public health
- Essential Services of Public Health
- The importance of collaboration across governmental and private sector entities
- Achievements and future challenges of public health
After completing this module learners will be able to:
- Define public health
- Explain the history and contributions of public health
- Describe characteristics of the public health system and how it works
- Discuss current and future issues facing the public health system
- Discuss educational programs and careers in public health
The core competencies for public health professionals are a consensus set of skills identified by the Council on Linkages (CoL) between academia and public health practice as being desirable for the delivery of the essential public health services. The CoL competencies identified for this course are:
Domain 1: Analytic/Assessment Skills
Domain 4: Cultural Competency Skills
Domain 5: Community Dimensions of Practice Skills
Domain 6: Basic Public Health Sciences Skills
Domain 7: Financial Planning and Management Skills
Continuing Education Units
Please note that these trainings may offer different types of continuing education credits. This Learner Portal may not calculate the correct number of continuing education credits. Please refer to the Continuing Education Credits section of your course site after registration for the correct information.
This course is eligible for 0.1 CEUs or 1.0 contact hours and up to 1 CPH re-certification credits can be earned by completing this course.
Contact & Questions
For questions regarding course registration, materials, and content, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding system access, log-in, user name, or password, please email email@example.com or call 612-301-4357.