DescriptionThe online lecture begins with an introduction to the risks of crash-related injuries and fatalities in long-haul trucking and potential control and prevention strategies. Then view the movie, "Sleepers," which includes interviews with medical experts on the role of untreated Obstructive Sleep Apnea among truckers contributing to fatigue and crashes, and the effectiveness of treatment with Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machines.
At the completion of this course you will be able to:
- List the risk factors for obstructive sleep apnea
- Describe the implications of untreated obstructive sleep apnea
- Describe the treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
- Discuss how the culture of the trucking industry varies by employer size with implications for employers investing in diagnosis and treatment of workers for obstructive sleep apnea
- Describe the industry stakeholders and their potential role in protecting and promoting trucker health and safety and public safety