DescriptionMinnesota has thousands of miles of gravel and dirt surfaced roads and most of them are maintained by counties and townships. One method of preserving the surface (for dust control, stabilization, or to maintain grade) is to apply a Light Surface Treatment (LST). A light surface treatment, which is also known as a bituminous surface treatment, is a thin layer of liquid asphalt covered with a layer of aggregate with a total application that is 1.5 inches thick or less. Using LSTs is relatively new and information about how to select the right treatment and successfully apply it are covered in this training.
• Understand Lightly Surface Road (LSR) concept
• Understand the advantages and disadvantages of LSR’s
• Know the LSR applications
• Understand keys to a successful LSR
• Be familiar with some LSR failures and ways to avoid them
• Understand the LSR treatment options
• Be familiar with some online selection tools
Who should attend: County Engineering Staff/Design Engineers, larger Townships and Counties with gravel roads that are starting to develop higher average daily traffic rates.