The COVID-19 pandemic presented the world with many new problems. These problems required rapid responses by teams of professionals with different skill sets. Here we present ways experts in IEM came together to solve some of these problems.
“The U’s Response to COVID-19” online course has two sections. One course has Medical-centric approaches while the other has Engineering-centric approaches. After choosing the Medical or Engineering course, we recommend you view the presentations in order and take the corresponding quizzes right afterward. Related presentations are grouped together into modules. The names of the faculty presenters, the topics they cover, and quizzes are shown below.
If you have questions about the content of any presentation, please email us at email@example.com.
We are excited for you as you begin your journey, and we look forward to you joining us as a colleague in the years to come!
Medical-centric Approaches to COVID-19
An Epic Public Health Challenge
- Dr. Arnold: The Challenges Posed by a Novel Virus
- Dr. Smith: Predicting Viral Spread through Mathematical Modeling
SARS-CoV2 Biology and Disease
- Dr. Herschhorn: SARS-CoV-2 Biology and Infection
- Dr. Pennell: What Can Happen Following SARS-CoV-2 Infection
- Dr. Yeuh: First-Hand Experience of COVID-19 Patient
A Test to See if You’ve Been Infected
- Dr. Jenkins: How to Measure Antibodies to SARS-CoV-2
A Novel Treatment for COVID-19
- Dr. Battaglino: Minnemod
Preparing Staff to Treat COVID-19 Patients
- RN. Thompson: Bethesda Hospital
Engineering-centric Approaches to COVID-19
SARS-CoV2 Biology, Spread, and Therapy
- Dr. Odde: Virus Modeling for Vaccine Development
- Dr. Sarkar: SARS-CoV-2 Biology and Therapeutics
- Dr. Yang: Airborne Spread of Virus
- Dr. Bischof: Lab-Based Detection
- Dr. Wang: Clinic-Based Detection with a Handheld Device
- Dr. Erdman: Ventilators
Protecting Healthcare Workers with PPE
- Dr. Hogan: Reducing Risk of Infection via Airborne Viral Particles
- Dr. Saliterman: Gowns
- Dr. Pui: How Commercial Respirators and Masks Work and DIY Masks
- Dr. Griffin: Rapid Response Masks
- Dr. Arnold: Rapid Response Face Coverings