The Parents Forever™ online course is available for parents and other caregivers of children who are experiencing divorce, separation, or changes in custody. Parents who attend a Parents Forever™ course learn valuable skills and tools that will help to reduce the effects of the family transition on themselves and their children.
University of Minnesota Extension has partnered with North Dakota State University Extension Service to adapt our online course specifically for North Dakota parents. This version of the course meets the recommendations being asked of parents by North Dakota courts. (Note, this version does not meet the minimum standards for those going through the Minnesota court system.)
After participating in this course, parents will be able to:
- Recognize how the stages of child development influence children’s journey through the family transition.
- Identify characteristics of parent-child relationships that improve child well-being.
- Apply knowledge and identify skills that will lead to improved parent-child relationships.
- Reflect on the nature of their coparenting relationships.
- Apply the communication and conflict management skills necessary for an effective coparenting relationship.
- Recognize that a parenting plan is an effective tool to prepare for positive coparenting.
Parents who took the course have said:
- “I feel so proud that [North Dakota] offers this course. I found it extremely well-done and thorough. I wish all states provided this as an option.” — Online course participant
- “This course has taught me new ways of dealing with conflict and reminded me my son is the IMPORTANT factor, and to always remember that.” — Online course participant