Nutrition Building Blocks for Great Trays is a nutrition course that meets the 10-hour basic nutrition requirement for School Nutrition Association (SNA) Level 1 certification.
This course will take 10 hours to complete. At the end of the course, you will receive a certificate of completion.
The course covers the following:
- Health benefits resulting from meeting the dietary guidelines for fruits and vegetables
- Strategies to make fruits and vegetables appealing to students
- Health benefits of whole grain foods and how to identify using product package labeling and description
- Sodium in foods and how simple scratch cooking can reduce sodium in school meals
- Health benefits of consuming fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
- Calorie balance
- What role fat plays in the body and what foods have which types of fat
- Key elements of marketing through listening and sharing
- Aspects of the serving line that promotes healthy food choices
- Roles school nutrition staff play in the success of the school meal program
- Tools to help support your healthy menu
- Current U.S. Department of Agriculture school foodservice guidelines