One of the best ways to become a successful beekeeper is through hands-on mentoring from experienced beekeepers. Join Bee Squad Instructor Chris Schad in our Rochester teaching apiary for in-person workshops that will take you from spring to fall. Each class will focus on seasonal management skills, with time for participants to try inspection techniques and ask questions about their own colonies.
We encourage beekeepers to sign up for multiple workshops over the season. Please note that participants should come into the apiary with a basic understanding of honey bee biology and hive structure AND their own protective equipment (bee veil or jacket). We welcome first year beekeepers and those who have taken the Beekeeping in Northern Climates course and want to try hive management before purchasing their own bees!
Requirements to participate:
- Participants must be 18 years or older to enter the apiary
- Bring your own bee veil OR bee jacket OR bee suit to wear in the apiary
- Willingness to work without gloves in the apiary
- Have taken the "Beekeeping in Northern Climates" course OR another basic beekeeping course OR have kept bees for at least one year
- Willingness to follow ongoing COVID-19 protocols and stay home if sick
Class Dates and Descriptions:
- Thursday, April 28th, 6:00pm to 7:30PM: Checking New Colonies
- Thursday, May 26th, 6:00pm to 7:30PM: Spring Hive Inspection
- Wednesday, June 29th, 6:00pm to 7:30PM: Summer Hive Inspection**
- Wednesday, August 24th, 6:00pm to 7:30PM: Mite Management and Pulling Honey
- Saturday, Sept 24th, 1:00pm to 2:30PM: Feeding Hives and Prepping for Winter
Quarry Hill Nature Center, 701 Silver Creek Rd NE, Rochester, MN 55906