MnDOT Roundabout Design Workshop
May 23-25, 2023
Day One: 9:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. Central
Day Two: 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. Central
Day Three: 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. Central
MnDOT Shoreview Training and Conference Center
1900 County Road I West
Shoreview, MN 55126
About the Event:
This three-day workshop is designed for engineers from both agencies and consulting firms who deliver
roundabout projects for MnDOT. The training will focus on chapter 6 of the MnDOT Facility Design
Guide. Its goal is to help participants use the MnDOT Geometric Design Support Unit's design approval
processes and improve their ability to analyze roundabout capacity, develop a layout, and predict an
alternate outcome of a design modification. This workshop will include hands-on training using drafting
exercises for simple, compact urban, mini, skewed, and 2+1 roundabouts.
At the training, participants will:
- Use guidelines and design preferences from chapter 6 of the MnDOT Facility Design Guide.
- Describe circle sizing and placement.
- List MnDOT Intersection Control Evaluation (ICE) documentation elements and discuss lane
- configuration and expandability.
- Compare computer software (CADD, HCM spreadsheet, etc) design examples with chapter 6 of
- the MnDOT Facility Design Guide.
- Discuss roundabout design performance parameters.
- Identify special roundabout considerations (oversized/overweight, ADA, longitudinal grades,
- maintenance, landscaping, signing, and high-speed approaches).
- Use layout sketching techniques and outline variation in design and design checking.
- The workshop curriculum features the following case examples:
- Simple Roundabout: SP 2510-55 TH 58 in Goodhue
- Compact Urban Roundabout: SP 6106-25 TH 29 in Glenwood
- Mini Roundabout: SP 5916-117 TH59 in Pelican Rapids
- Skewed Roundabout: SP 3609-48 TH 53 in International Falls/SP 1807-32 TH 210 in Crosby
- 2+1 Roundabout: SP 1008-104 TH 41 in Chaska
Questions? Contact Rachel Brodeur at firstname.lastname@example.org