Medication Therapy Management – also known as MTM – is a continually evolving practice where you can make a tremendous impact on patient care. By meeting directly with patients to assess their medication therapy and needs, you will help them discover why the pharmacist should be a core member of the patient’s healthcare team.
During this knowledge-based online activity, materials for each of the five modules will be released on a rolling basis, with new modules becoming available as soon as assessments for prior modules are completed. Content modules consist of various instructional materials, including: presentations, reading materials, and optional assignments, including a business plan.
Participants can log in and access the learning materials 24 hours/day-7 days/week, at their convenience. This activity totals 10 contact hours.
Successful completion of this activity will require passing (70% or better) four short quizzes (five questions or fewer), participating in three discussion forums related to course topics, and completing evaluation and activity completion forms.
- Introduction to Building an MTM Practice
- Broad Health Care System Overview: Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) and Pharmacy's Role
- Broad Health Care System Overview: Accountable Care Organizations (ACO) and Pharmacy's Role
- Medication Therapy Management Quality Measures
- Module 1 Quiz
- Creating a Vision for your Practice
- Community and Practice Needs Assessment
- Building the Business Case through the Triple Aim
- Optional Assignment: Medication Therapy Management Business Plan
- Module 2 Quiz
- Infrastructure in MTM: Space, Support, and Efficiency
- Infrastructure in MTM: Documentation
- Relationship Development and Collaboration with Administrators
- Relationship Development and Collaboration with Other Health Care Professionals
- Discussion Forum: Collaborative Relationships
- Discussion Forum: Infrastructure Challenges
- Marketing and Recruitment for Patient Care Services
- Billing 101 for MTM Pharmacists
- Business Statements and Financial Planning
- Discussion Forum: Financial Infrastructure
- Module 4 Quiz
- Continuous Quality Improvement in Medication Therapy Management
- Collaborative Practice Agreements
- Continuing Professional Development for MTM Pharmacists
- Sustaining your Practice
- Module 5 Quiz
After completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Describe MTM practice from the implementation perspective.
- List variables to assess and methods for assessment prior to developing a MTM practice.
- Outline important infrastructure components of a MTM practice.
- Utilize appropriate billing and marketing opportunities and procedures for a MTM practice.
- Implement a plan for maintaining professional competency and quality for MTM practice.