Two licensed, currently employed, high school teachers will work with 4 pre-service teachers to develop curriculum and resources for the literature from the summer institute Stories of Conflict and Hope, African Literature in the High School Classroom, July 10-13. In return, the licensed teachers and the preservice teachers will each receive $1000 stipend.
The requirements are as follows
- Participants must attend the Stories of Conflict and Hope summer institute, July 10-13, 2017.
- Participants must be available from 9:00 am-3:00 pm July 17-20 and July 24-27 to work as a team on campus to develop the curriculum and resources
- If possible, participants will share their lessons during fall of 2017 on a Saturday workshop with area educators. (Additional stipends will be given for this.)
- All parking costs/ metro passes will be covered during the institute AND during the curriculum development session.
- Lunch will be provided during the Stories of Conflict and Change summer institute but NOT during the curriculum development session.
- Licensed and pre-service teachers can be either from Social Studies or English/Literacy discipline.
Books from the summer institute Stories of Conflict and Hope include
July 10-14, 2017 Stories of Conflict and Hope: African Literature in the High School Classroom
July 17-20, 2017 Curriculum development
July 24-27, 2017 Curriculum development