We can design programs to support social and emotional learning (SEL), but we can also be more intentional about how we respond in the moment to SEL skill-building opportunities.
This interactive workshop helps participants practice strategies to respond to unplanned opportunities, integrate cultural responsiveness, and support SEL through everyday conversations and unexpected challenges. Participants will talk about cultural values and preferences, role-play different scenarios, explore SEL-related dilemmas and reflect on their programs.
How it works:
- Explore your cultural values and preferences in relation to SEL skills.
- Engage in role-play scenarios to practice responsive skills.
- Talk about SEL-related dilemmas with colleagues and reflect on what you've learned.
What you’ll have when you walk away:
- An understanding of the relationship between identity, culture and SEL success
- Ideas about how your own cultural values and preferences shape the way to support SEL with youth
- Strategies to recognize and respond to unplanned SEL skill building opportunities
Who should attend: Direct service providers and program leaders, managers and coordinators who have previously attended SEL in Practice or have a solid understanding of SEL basics.
Cancellation policy: If the Center for Youth Development cancels this training, the workshop tuition fee will be fully refunded. Participant cancellations at least one working day prior to the workshop date will be fully refunded. No refunds will be issued for cancellations fewer than 24 hours before the workshop date. If you have any questions or need to cancel your registration, please call Colleen at 612-624-1999.
Return to class web page.